Acne Vulgaris or commonly referred to as acne is a skin disease which occurs primarily in adolescents. Acne is the most commonly occurring skin disease in the world. But it is most common in teenagers and young adults. It is estimated that 80 percent of all people between the ages of 11 and 30 have acne outbreaks at some point in their life. Some people in their forties and fifties still get acne. The cause of acne is still not known properly but doctors and researchers say that it is caused primarily due to clogging of hair follicles, dead skin cells, and oils from the skin. Other causes of acne also include an increase in hormone levels (mostly for teenagers in their puberty), hormonal changes due to pregnancy, starting or stopping birth control pills, heredity, intake of certain medicines and greasy makeup.
Acne though not a life threatening disease, but certainly leaves scars on the affected area mostly, face. People suffering from acne are known to have low confidence and self-esteem. But it is certainly not the end of the world as simple acne treatments at home can be done to treat acne for a glowing and acne free skin.
- Use of tree tea oil: Know for its natural inflammation fighting properties, a 5 percent solution can be just as effective against acne as 5 percent benzoyl peroxide solution. Mix a few drops with 20-40 drops of witch hazel and apply with the help of cotton swab, apply twice a day for acne treatment.
- Green tea: We all know the health benefits of sipping a cup of green tea. It has antioxidant and antimicrobial compounds that help fight acne, use a cool cup of green tea as a face wash or lay a wet tea bag on the acne affected area for acne treatment.
- Honey: Honey’s antibiotic properties can help reduce acne. Apply a spoonful of honey to affected areas directly, or by making a mask by mixing with 1 cup of oatmeal and leave on the face for 30 minutes.
- Mint: Mint can help clear clogging of pores in acne treatment. Mix 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint with two tablespoons of plain yogurt and oatmeal. Leave the mixture on face for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe, known for its burn-relieving properties, can promote healing, fight infection, and even reduce scarring for the purpose of acne treatment. Scrape the gel from an aloe plant, and apply on affected area.
• Lemons: Lemons act as a skin lightener and disinfectant to reduce the appearance of scars and prevents pimples formation which helps in acne treatment. Apply the mixture of water and lemon juice on acne affected area and wash off with cool water for best acne treatment results.